¶ Composer, poet
¶ Composer, poet
Rozalie Hirs (Gouda, April 7, 1965) is a contemporary Dutch composer and poet. Her poetry and music are both lyrical and experimental. The adventure of the listening and reading experience and the imagination are central. Her music includes vocal, orchestral and electronic pieces. She often combines traditional instruments with electronic sounds. Her poetry includes poetry collections as well as digital poetry, interactive poems created in collaboration with visual artists and graphic designers.
“Purified, as if washed clean—that is one way one might characterize the music of Rozalie Hirs (1965). Her work is presented with the greatest clarity; she creates a world in a few gestures. Within that world, sonic beauty is of greater importance than the display of technique or structure…”
Anthony Fiumara, cd-tekst Platonic ID
Teaching and coaching
You can get in touch with Rozalie for advice and feedback on your own compositions. Please contact her via the form.
Her music has been performed by Amsterdam Sinfonietta, ASKO|Schönberg, Bozzini Quartet, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Formalist Quartet, Klangforum Wien, Musikfabrik, Radio Philharmonic Orchestra, Slagwerk Den Haag, SPECTRA, and Philip Thomas, among others; she regularly performs her compositions for spoken voice and electronic sounds herself, mainly on international stages. Deuss Music publishes her musical scores, Uitgeverij Querido her poetry collections.
Commissions and awards (selection)
- Commission composition Holland Festival in collaboration with Klangforum Wien for Atlantis
- Commission composition Concertgebouw Orchestra i.c.w. the University of Amsterdam for parallel world [breathing] with support Fonds Podiumkunsten, 2017.
- Composer-in-Residence, Yaddo Saratoga Springs, New York, United States, May 2017.
- Composer-in-Residence, Maison Dora Maar, Ménerbes, France, March 2018.
- Commission composition Saturday matinee/ NTR Omroep Muziek in collaboration with Musikfabrik for lightclouds, 2019.
- Composer-in-Residence, Van Doesburghuis, Meudon, Paris, France, with support from the Mondriaanfonds, September-December 2019.
- Commission composition Kulturkreis für Neue Musik Heilbronn for hand in hand, 2020.
- Commission composition Radio France for new work, 2022.
(complete list see on her website rozalie.com)